13 March 2012

REVIEW: Summer Knight by Jim Butcher

Author: Jim Butcher
Title: Summer Knight
Series: Dresden Files #4
Published: Sep. 1, 2002
Source: Library

Private detective/wizard-for-hire Harry Dresden is suckered into tangling in the affairs of Faerie, where the fate of the entire world-and his soul-are at stake.

In another review, I stated that I was a character-driven reader, and that few authors can keep me reading when I don't like their characters. Jim Butcher is one of the two exceptions I can think of to that rule. I really like his narration.

Harry Dresden has gotten himself into trouble one too many times. This time around he's managed to trigger a war between the Red Court and the Wizards, and now the White Council is out for blood - his blood, more specifically. To make matters worse, it seems the Faerie courts are readying for war with one another, and he's been suckered into a job by the Winter Queen.

The story was interesting at first, and then became so-so. In the beginning I was a bit disappointed with Jim Butcher's characterization of the Fae. He himself had noted that they were not easy to separate into 'good' and 'bad' fae, and yet there was a distinct lack of nuance in the characters. That was until the twist came. It was brilliant, IMO! It was brilliant and it highlighted all the nuances I could ever want. I especially loved the conversation Harry had with his faerie godmother. So JB gets points for being an awesome storyteller.

My main problem with the novels is that I don't think I like Harry Dresden very much. His snark doesn't do it for me, and I don't understand how someone can be a bumbling idiot most days, and then have epiphanies to solve the mystery- ALL THE TIME! I mean, the hero doesn't have to be the smartest cookie, but at least let's see evidence of some brains. The way Dresden fumbles about it's implausible he keeps defeating bad guy after bad guy. Either that or they're even stupider than he is, which doesn't make them very scary at all.

I do plan on continuing with the series because I like Mr. Butcher's storytelling, but I think I'll take a break before reading some more.

★★
OTHER BOOKS IN THIS SERIES:
 

2 comments:

  1. Good review. Never heard about the book before:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you read Urban Fantasy you might like it. It's one of the best written by male authors.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Sweet Beginnings kit by NewLifeDreamsDesigns