02 July 2012

{June} Month in Review

I did a little better this month than last month re: getting into a reading rhythm. It is not perfect, but I am hoping to tweak it a little better each month, so I can have time for reading, going to the movies, working, sleeping, and real life.

Stats

I read 14 books this month, including a book I had been putting off for quite a while -  Fair Game (Alpha and Omega #3), and a graphic novel - the Sandman Vol 1, by Neil Gaiman. I have a un-reviewish review of Fair Game and it will be up on the blog sometime this coming month, as well as a quickie review of the Sandman, which will also be up sometime in the month.

The favorites

So many good books this month. Where to start, where to start?
  • I reread Dragon Actually in its entirety. I should probably scrounge up a review for it. It's the first book in G.A. Aiken's Dragon Kin series, and I love it to bits. I have been powering through the entire series and just  had this urge to reread Annwyl and Fearghus's story (the first book is actually two novellas in one: Annwyl and Fearghus's story and then the story of Fearghus's parents, Bercelak and Rhiannon). I really love Annwyl and follow the series mainly for her. 
  • My favorite read this month is the novella Dragon on Top, book 4.5 in the Dragon Kin series. I loved everything about it. Review coming later in the month too.
  • I read book 3 in the I-Team series by Pamela Clare, Unlawful Contact. Don't know what took me so long. LOVED IT! My favorite so far. Quickie review also coming. 
  • Preludes and Nocturnes. Graphic novel. Neil Gaiman. Awesome Sauce.
At this rate I should stop now, or I'd mention all the 14 books I read. It was a very good month book-wise.

The least favorites

  • I didn't enjoy The Darkening Dream by Andy Gavin as much as I could have. Too many elements ruined the story for me.
  • I hated The Costarella Conquest. Quickie review coming.

Honorable Mentions

  • I started Before I Wake the day it came out. My feelings haven't changed for most of the supporting cast, but I am very, very, impressed with the person Kaylee has become. Tod I always knew was fantastic, but I didn't know just how awesome he could be. I knew I pegged him right from the beginning! The rest of them can go to heck for all I care :D
  • I finally got around to reading Fair Game, as I said upthread.
  • I am powering through the Chicagoland Vampires by Chloe Neill, which is very unusual for me (I don't like vampires, as a rule). I am on book 6. Should be done reading that by the time book 7 comes out next month.

Reflections

Definitely a quality month. But I find that I am becoming more a more critical reader, especially when I love the author's body of work. And I am noticing and acknowledging criticism that I wouldn't always have accepted in the past. I think it's me growing as a reader instead of me being grumpy, but that remains to be seen.

Looking Forward

Here's to a new and even better month than June has been. An Ilona Andrews books is releasing in only 30 days!!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Sweet Beginnings kit by NewLifeDreamsDesigns