27 January 2012

TGIF @ GReads #2


TGIF is a weekly meme hosted every Friday at GReads.This week's question is:

  





Buy or Borrow: Where do your books that you read come from? The bookstore? The library? Do you prefer to own a book, or have it on loan?

I definitely need my libraries in my life. Due to space and monetary considerations, I can't afford to own every book I read. Hence most of my books come from the library. In 2011, I read at least 186 books . Of those, possibly 125 came from the library. I couldn't have afforded those 125 books on my budget. I am fortunate enough to be a member of several libraries, a couple of which have really good selections of my favorite genres, so that I can find most of the books I want to read there. It also helps that my libraries have an awesome ebook selection.

Another great thing about using the library is that I sometimes stumble upon new authors to try and new books to love in my libraries' selections. I have found many series and authors this way.

There are a few authors, though whose books I usually buy immediately they come out, usu. in ebook format, most notably books by Sharon Shinn, Ilona Andrews, and certain books from Nalini Singh and Rachel Vincent. If there's a book I desperately want that my library doesn't stock, I'll buy it if I have money. 

I am grateful for libraries. Not to diminish anyone's opinions, but you have no idea what a treasure libraries are until you grow up somewhere where there are none. I grew up in Ghana, where the one public library is an insult to libraries and readers everywhere, and where my home library was as well or even better stocked than the few private libraries started by foreigners.

I don't mind having a book on loan. If I read and think it's a keeper I need in my life, I'll buy it when my budget permits. If the waitlist is too long and I can't hold it any longer and my budget permits, I'll buy it.  

I can't afford to buy/own every book I read. And I think I like it that way. Then the only books I get to keep are the ones I truly love, or ones from authors I adore.
 

4 comments:

  1. Yay - another library lover here. I'm fortunate to have an excellent library system where I live - as I can borrow from a couple of counties via inter-library loan. And it takes less than a week for the books to get there. I don't think I would want to buy all the books I read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've started having that same mindset - I only want to own the books that I absolutely LOVED. I'm going home to the Philippines this year for vacation and, while I'm there, I'm going to make it my mission to sort through all the books I've collected over the years and donate the ones that I liked, but don't really love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love libraries! I get most of my book at my local public library!
    Karen @ Books Beside My Bed

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Sweet Beginnings kit by NewLifeDreamsDesigns