31 December 2011

2011 Reading Review

2011 was a really good reading year for me.

Kid in a candy store: It's been a year of discovery.
Amazing discovery. For one, I discovered Goodreads properly. Before this year, I think I had just about 1 autobuy author: Sharon Shinn. This has changed, and I am a coupla hundred dollars poorer for it.



It is the year I rediscovered my first love, fantasy, and found new facets of it that I have come to love almost as much as the ones I knew already: like Urban Fantasy, and Paranormal Fantasy/Romance.

It is also the year I found two new favorite authors,  after picking up their books on a whim

Ilona Andrews
Nalini Singh


I love, love, love their work, the worlds they've created, and the characters they've made. And it is with Ilona Andrews I discovered just how much fun snark can be when done right. I learned to persevere. I borrowed On the Edge by Ilona Andrews. It took me a while to get into it. But I kept on...and ended up loving it. Same with Magic Bites. Now the Kate Daniels series has to be just about my favorite series of all time, I think. At least it's definitely in the top 5.

I didn't read any high/epic fantasy this year. I found one, and  I haven't found any/gotten around to reading it: George R.R. Martin and his  A Song of Ice and Fire

This year was also the year I learned not to judge a book by its cover. I'd noticed Nalini's books in the library several times before, but moved on because the covers were nothing to write home about. Well, I'd been doing that to another series I found in the YA/Science Fiction & Fantasy shelves. Patricia Briggs and her Mercedes Thompson series. The cover for Moon Called didn't impress me. AT ALL. I gave it a side-eye and passed it by every single time I was in that section. Every. Singe. Time. I relented when I saw how much some of my friends from goodreads loved Patty Briggs' writing. Now I also count myself among those who love Ms. Briggs and the characters she has created to absolute bits (Samuel!! :D).

I've discovered some riveting YA, with the best of the lot being Rachel Vincent's Soul Screamers Series.

I discovered that I am very unlikely to read anymore books by Laurell K. Hamilton, and am almost ready to write off Allyson James and Courtney Milan.

And, best of all, I discovered my ignorance when it comes to great authors. So many authors, so many series to look forward to. So many other sub-genres to discover, and so many new (and old non-fave) genres to try. Here's to 2012!!

I hope you had as good a reading time as I did this past year.
Here's to an even better 2012!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Sweet Beginnings kit by NewLifeDreamsDesigns